Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Why I Love Coconut Oil


Coconut oil is something you can buy and use for anything and everything. From health and beauty to cooking it's something you can keep in your kitchen cabinet and your bathroom vanity. I rounded up a few reasons why coconut oil is something you need to keep in your house! 

1. It's an excellent moisturizer. I struggle with Perioral Dermatitis and when I have a flare up, or extremely dry skin, coconut oil is the first thing I grab. I'll layer a good portion on my face before I go to bed for a few nights. After a few days not only is my face silky smooth but my PD is completely gone. It's also a great moisturizer for your hair. I'll massage some coconut oil in my damp or wet hair and then put my hair in a bun for thirty minutes. Then I'll wash it our with warm water and VOILA! Gorgeous soft silky smooth hair. 

2. It is great to cook with. I love sautéing veggies in coconut oil. Just put a tablespoon in a pan, let it dissolve into a liquid and saute away. I also love coating sweet potatoes in coconut oil and then wrapping them in tin foil and throwing them in the oven to bake. It's delicious! 

3. It's a cough suppressant. Now I am not 100% sure about this one but, it works for me. Whenever I have a cold and a cough that I can't get rid of, I'll drink some hot tea with a tablespoon of coconut oil and my cough dissipates. It's soothing and coats your throat to ease the pain from a dry cough. 


4. It whitens your teeth. Have you heard of oil pulling? Basically it's when you swish coconut oil around in your mouth for twenty minutes to get yourself some pearly whites. I've tried this a few times but, I ultimately couldn't stand the texture of the oil in my mouth. I have some friends that noticed a difference after sticking with it for a few weeks. There are tons of other health benefits from oil pulling that you can read here. 

5. It helps chub rub. I can't believe I'm putting this out there on the internet but hey, why not. I actually can't take the credit for this one. My best friend Carly and I were getting ready for a wedding when she started to apply coconut on her inner thighs. I said "What in the world are you doing?!" Since then any time I'm wearing a skirt or dress and want to prevent inner thigh chaffing, I'll lather some on my inner thighs and it lasts all night. Don't knock it till you try it! 


6. It removes stubborn waterproof makeup. You know how frustrating it is to remove waterproof makeup! Sometimes it seems like you're standing in front of the bathroom mirror for fifteen minutes rubbing your already blood shots eyes to remove that waterproof mascara. Coconut oil effortlessly washes it away. When I want to remove waterproof eye makeup, I rub a small mouth on my upper and lower lids in circular motion and wipe it away with a warm cloth. An added bonus is that it doesn't sting your eyes. 

7. It's the best massage oil. Coconut oil is great because it dissolves with the warmth of your hands. Coconut has such a relaxing and calming scent to it too. 


What are your favorite ways to use coconut oil? Share in the comments!

XO
Jenny 



No comments:

Post a Comment