Sunday, January 15, 2017

Six Tips for Nurses to Survive the Night Shift

It's one o'clock in the afternoon. Five hours ago I just arrived home from doing three twelve hour night shifts in a row. I slept for four hours because it's my day off and I'm determined to not waste my day off. So, here I am sitting on the couch in an oversized pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt, hair up in a ginormous messy bun, mascara rubbed all over my eyes, sipping on a cup of coffee feeling half hungover and half like I had just gotten hit by an eighteen wheeler. Wondering how long this drunk/nauseous/sick/tired feeling is going to last before I start to feel like a normal human being again. This is the glorious feeling you experience if you have ever worked a twelve hour night shift as a nurse. 

I've been working 12 hour night shifts as a RN on a cardiac step down unit for close to two years now and I've developed some tips and tricks on how to survive them. Nursing requires the same duties and responsibilities 24/7 but working when the sun is down presents itself with some uniques challenges. It took some times to adjust to being awake during the hours everyone else is normally sound asleep but, it is do-able! Keep reading for some tips and tricks on how to survive the nightshift. 



1. COFFEE. I mean, I'm pretty sure this is a given and had to be number one. Maybe coffee isn't your thing but, you are going to need some form of caffeine during those long night hours. Tea, coffee, energy drinks, chai, soda, whatever your caffeine fix is you will definitely need to make sure you have an adequate supply for your shift.

2. Water. You have to stay hydrated. It's already a struggle to stay awake during night shift hours and it will be even harder if you aren't adequately hydrated. I keep a 32 ounce tumbler in my locker at work so I'm never without a water bottle. Trust me I've been there when I get to the end of my 12 hour shift and I've barely taken a sip of water. I'm aware of that now and I try and make a conscious effort of sipping on water throughout my shift. 

3. Citrus. I'm not sure what it is about citrus fruits but, whenever I eat them at work I feel more awake and refreshed after. An orange, granny smith apples, pineapple, anything sweet light and refreshing is something I like to keep in my lunchbox for those hours between 0300-0500. 

4. Five minute refresh. I like to do a quick little refresh anywhere between 0400-0700. I brush my teeth, splash my face with some water, brush my hair and apply some chapstick. It makes me feel a little more put together and ready to tackle the last hours of my shift. I keep a little clutch in my work bag with some toiletries like chapstick, face powder, deodorant, tooth brush, toothpaste, floss, chapstick, hairbrush etc. You get the idea. And lucky for day shift, I'll have some fresh breath when I give them report. 

5. Stand up. Sitting down and being in an idle position definitely makes me sleepy. When I find myself really struggling to stay awake I stand up. The majority of the time when I am sitting down it is because I need to chart and I can easily do that standing up at one of the computers. It's very hard to fall asleep standing up! 

6. Sleep. The most important of them all! Sleeping during the daylight hours when most people are awake can be challenging. Especially when your neighbor decides it's the perfect time to mow the lawn, or have a summer pool party. Blackout shades, night eye masks, and ear plugs are all things that can change how well you sleep during the day. Invest in them, I promise it makes all the difference. I also try to nap 1-2 hours before my shift to charge myself up. On nights when I don't get to take a nap before my shift, I definitely feel a little more groggy and tired and I may be reaching for that fourth cup of coffee.

I hope my night shift tips help you power through those dark hours of the night! Please share your tips & tricks for surviving the nightshift in the comments. I'd love to hear them! 

XO
Jenny 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny....That was easily some of the best advise ever for those beautiful nurses that work that unappreciated shift. I also found that a low calorie snack like popcorn kept me going if I indeed had to sit for any period of time after 3 am. It is definitely a hard shift to work but know that you and your colleagues are doing God's work at night. You are single- handedly the most important person to those patients and families that need you when there is no one else to talk to or call during that time. I love this post...Keep up your hard work. I love you Auntie Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes nothing better then eating buttery popcorn out of a bedpan at 0300! Love you Auntie Lisa! xoxo

      Delete