Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I Still Don't Know What This Is

Not long after being diagnosed with Perioral Dermatitis, I started to develop other skin related issues. I started to get really swollen eyes. I'm not sure exactly when it began but, I am pretty sure I just woke up one morning and it was there. As soon as I opened my eyes in the morning, I could tell if they were swollen or not. I could feel it and sometimes my eyes couldn't open all the way.




Some days it would be one eye, other days it would be both, or my eyes wouldn't be swollen at all. It was really random, and every night when I went to bed I always thought, "Well I wonder what's going to happen when I wake up!" Along with the swelling, they started to become red and irritated. 



When I woke up the morning of the above photo, I pretty much had enough. I was applying cold compresses, trying to sleep with my head slightly elevated, applied hydrocortisone cream generously and nothing was working. I went over to my college's health clinic and the Nurse Practitioner prescribed me Elidel. FYI- that sh*t stings! It was harsh but again, I felt like I was running out of options. As I've mentioned in my previous post, I am in nursing school. I had clinicals to attend where I needed and wanted to make a good first impression with every nurse, doctor, manager that I met. That's hard to do when you look like you have some sort of "I didn't get enough sleep/pink eye/ I got in a fist fight/I don't know what the hell it is" thing. If my memory serves correct, I believe I used that for a week or two and it helped calm down the major swelling and redness. 

Along with the swelling and redness of my eyelids, I started to develop this rash under my eyes. It was almost like a raised hive. It itched and burned and was just not cute.


Like the swelling of my eyelids, every day was a different scenario. I continued the regimen of cold compress and hydrocortisone cream. It helped but, it didn't go away completely. I started researching, and talking to other health care professionals, and came to the realization that maybe it was a contact allergy. Back to the dermatologist I went! I ended up doing a patch test. My patch test consisted of 60 (I think) of the most common chemicals that cause a contact allergy. Many of the chemicals or substances can be found in shampoos, conditioners, make-up, soaps, nail polish etc. At this point, I had already changed all my products so I didn't keep my hopes up. 


The allergens are applied to patches which are then applied to your back. They are then numbered and outlined, and secured with hypoallergenic tape (I asked because there's no way I was going through this to realize I was allergic to the damn tape). I went back to the office to have them checked the next day, and then two days after. During this time I had to avoid showering, and getting sweaty so the patches wouldn't fall off. I also had to stop taking antihistamines a week prior to the application of the patches. So, out of the sixty most common chemicals and substances that cause contact dermatitis guess how many I was allergic to? ONE. I honestly wasn't surprised. I didn't save the paper about the chemical but, I went home and checked every single one of my products, and none of them had it as an ingredient.

         

The next step I took to figure out what the hell was going on with my face was going to an allergist. That included more allergy testing but this time it was a skin prick test. This test is done to identify allergies such as dust, mold, pollen, animals, etc. I believe this test consisted of 40 lancet pricks. It didn't hurt but man was it itchy! Once they are all done with the pricks, you have to wait 15 minutes before the doctor can read them. It basically felt like my back was on fire and I wanted to itch it so bad. My awesome best friend went to the appointment with me and I basically made her blow air on my back to relieve the itching. But hey, that's what friends are for! 


When the 15 minutes are up, the reactions are read and measured on a scale of 1-4. I had a reaction to the majority of the allergens. I expected this going in because I already have bad allergies. I'm certainly allergic to cats, dust, mold, pollen and I pretty much sneeze all day every day (Thanks Mom). The skin prick test didn't give me any answers other than my allergist suggesting I should look into a more in depth patch testing. 

So in short, that's my mystery! My eyes still become swollen from time to time and I still get the skin rash occasionally. I have yet to do more allergy testing but, I am definitely looking into it. Especially food allergy testing after learning recently that I am allergic to mangos. Yeah, that wasn't fun.

Questions:
  • Has anyone had similar situations or experiences? Please comment and share because I would love to hear them!
  • Have you had allergy testing? 




25 comments:

  1. My face looks like yours, but mine was caused by an allergic reaction to a mango peel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you discovered what was causing this? So strange I literally have the exact same symptoms! I was diagnosed with Perioral Dermatitis in June after it started in March (never experienced it before). Now that it has cleared up I've been waking up with one swollen eye!

    An update would be much appreciated or any advice! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Sadly no, I haven't discovered what is causing this. It is so frustrating! I can't believe you have the exact same symptoms. Have you found anything that has worked for you?

      Delete
  3. Stop wearing fingernail polish and see what happens. I had something similar and was told that thicker skin around your nails (or allergy test on your back) won't react but your thin skinned eyelids are very sensitive. Some brands may not bother you while others do. Apparently this is very common but I had never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for the tip! It totally makes sense!

      Delete
  4. I have exactly the same symptoms except that I first had the eyes swollen and dry like eczema, dry patch at the dark circles and perioral dermatitis I think of hormonal imbalance but it can be lots of things ,I 'd like to know if you had managed to get from this and if so how?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrnt through All of this. Labs & more labs, allergy testing etc.
    After 2 years the random swellinf of my eyes and the spontaneous exzema-like patches that would flare up were diagnosed as HYPOTHYROIDISM. My endocrine system was imbalanced. My Dr.s foxused so long on allergies they didnt look elsewhere.
    I am now on thyroid meds and have only had 1 flare up since.
    Hope this helps someone else who's suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrnt through All of this. Labs & more labs, allergy testing etc.
    After 2 years the random swellinf of my eyes and the spontaneous exzema-like patches that would flare up were diagnosed as HYPOTHYROIDISM. My endocrine system was imbalanced. My Dr.s foxused so long on allergies they didnt look elsewhere.
    I am now on thyroid meds and have only had 1 flare up since.
    Hope this helps someone else who's suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruby! So funny you mention this because, this is my next step! After doing some more research and such, I am pretty positive that is what my problem is! Thanks for the comment. It's nice to know we aren't alone! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi i my self have been having the same problem I do t have the rashes but my eye is swollen just like the one in your first picture also I noticed a small red dot under you eye I have the same exact thing but I am taking levothyroxine I also have hypothyroidism I wonder if it is the cost we might be on to something thanks

      Delete
  7. My eyes have been like this for a long time and the Doctors haven't tested me for anything, they just say to do cold compresses and it does nothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So frustrating, isn't it? Im sorry you haven't found a solution yet! I would definitely push them to test you!

      Delete
  8. Hi Jenny, did you get to the bottom of this yet? I too have the same thing happening and I just came across your post in a Google search! I'm thinking thyroid too from internet searches and some borderline test results. Would love to hear how you are getting on now. Hope you are well! Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  9. My integrative doc has determined reddish patterns in the face as mold exposure. Treats with oregano oil, fungus ease, colloidal silver spray with xylitol added in nose 2-3x and no sugar for a few months. My husband has this exact thing and we had mold in the house at some point. My reddish patter was in between my eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ps 90% of doctors including dermatologist know nothing about mold exposure and how it looks on the skin in these more subtly ways, so don't be surprised. My doc is rare and has found most ailments linked to it and determined these patterns himself. He was right though bc I took the treatments for a couple months and my red/white alternating pattern on my face went away. Make sure you don't have any mold in your home (though it could be past exposure as well).

    ReplyDelete
  11. My eyes are doing the exact same thing! Did you ever find out what caused this? Or any relief? Mine have been like this since December of 2015. Recently was told it was either mold exposure or dust mites. I haven't been tested for them yet. This is awful I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Unfortunately, no I never found out what caused this. Ice, cooling packs, and antiinflamatories helped me. So sorry you're dealing with this! I have heard of the mold exposure or dust mites. You should definitely get tested!

      Delete
  12. i'm sure this has come up as you already know you have an autoimmune disease but have you explored the possibility of lupus? i also had chronic eyelid swelling and rashes/redness on my face and was diagnosed with systemic lupus. a whole new world of potential fixes has been opened up. just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been dealing with the same thing and I think I figured out what was causing mine. Ingredient called octinoxate (aka ethylhexle) found in makeup and sunscreen. It can cause facial swelling and is also a estrogen disrupter. Avoid this stuff!! I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm searching down the route of hormone imbalance paired with some reactions to foods such as dairy and 'healthy' foods like apples and avocados which I think are cross-reacting with birch pollen. The other route im looking into is excessive body heat as a result of diet and adrenal fatigue in Chinese medicine. Hope this helps you or anyone else reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the exact thing around eyes and mouth. Had same tests as you. I do have an autoimmune but I don't think that's it. The Drs just say I have dermatitis. It gets worse when I try to cover it with makeup so for sure I know I'm allergic to what the person above said Octinoxate..its a sunscreen. When I wear any lipstick the rash is all around my mouth but always around my eyes and sometimes peels like a lizard. So frustrating. I feel like it's IN my eyes too. I look just like you in those photos. I don't eat dairy gluten animals. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had this on the skin around my eyes, on my cheek, and on my lips and surrounding skin. It was an allergy to urushiol in mango skin. Hold the mango to peel or cut it, then prop my cheek on my hand while reading; hold half a mango to eat the fruit directly from the skin, and the resulting contact with the urushiol caused the allergy. A course of Prednisone got rid of it, and never touching mango skin prevents it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really hoping you've gotten an answer to what this could be! I've been experiencing the exact same symptoms and I've seen about 4 different specialties for this. Please please let me know if you ever had an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI - did you ever figure out what is going on? My face looks exactly like yours and have gone down almost every rabbit hole. "stress" is what a lot of folks claim can cause this. I have laid off the hydrocortisone and am doing everything to help cure a "leaky guy" but hasn't worked. Have done blood tests, food sensitivity tests etc. Looking for some kine of topical that could calm this down when I get the flare ups. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete